Integrated Nurturing Baby Massage and Baby Yoga Training Course
Developed by Marion O’connor for Birthlight, our new 6-day intensive integrated online training, combines Nurturing Baby Massage, Baby Yoga and Interactive Yoga with babies for parents/carers.
Live online training, is combined with online learning, ensuring that students can review, practice, deepen and test their skills and knowledge beyond the course contact hours. The supporting resources will enable you to create a professional range of enjoyable sessions of nurturing baby massage and baby yoga for babies from 6 weeks to pre-mobile. Contents can be adapted to suit your families’ and groups’ needs or individual pairs
This course is focused on practice. Theory is integrated to back and inform practice.
Course contents include:
- Practical and simple techniques to support early, essential attachment and bonding
- with mutual benefits for parents and babies
- Nurturing baby massage sequences, either ‘dry’ (over clothes) or with oil
- ‘Relaxed holds’ giving parents/carers confidence in their handling of new babies, including picking up and putting down with ease.
- Integrated colic-easing sequence
- Baby Yoga progression from mini moves to moves that enhance pre-mobile babies’ enjoyment of their growing abilities, including gentle stretches, lifts, slides, rolls and swings
- Joint relaxation (lying down, sitting, feeding, walking)
- Yoga-based techniques to expand mindful awareness, reduce stress and foster joyful communication in baby care: yoga breathing, use of voice, mudras (hand gestures)
- Adapted postnatal yoga accessible to all women, including flow stress-release movements, including interactive mum & baby stretches
- Practices that are readily adaptable for babies in special situations such as those in care, entering into adopted families or those sustaining long periods in hospital.
- The Birthlight concept of ‘spirals of joy’: expanding self-confidence, the foundations of wellbeing, and the enjoyment of life.
- How to prepare class materials and use props
WHO CAN ATTEND THIS COURSE
- Health professionals (nursery nurses, health visitors, family support workers) with a related interest
- Childrens’ Centres Staff (child development practitioners, family support workers, outreach workers)
- Yoga teachers with an interest in babies
- ‘Mothers’ route to training’ (Birthlight apprenticeships)
Note: Applicants with no previous knowledge of infant development need to complete the anatomy and physiology pre-reading module before taking this course.
FORMAT AND DURATION
The course is delivered live by the course tutor over sessions, amounting to a duration of 6 contact days. There are two possible formats currently:
- Fully live online – the whole course is delivered via Zoom sessions live with a tutor plus an online course component.
- Fully Face-to-face – contact is through face-to-face days plus an online course component.
- Blended live online and face to face – the course is partly live online and part face to face, plus an online course component.
A carefully designed programme allows participants to map their individual studying journeys. More information on course formats can be found in the FAQ’s.
Study materials include:
- A comprehensive manual given at the start of the course
- Explainer video clips
- Baby Massage Handbook
- Baby Yoga Moves Booklet
- Example lesson plans
- Substantial online resources
You will be assessed continually with quizzes and informal practicals throughout the course. The aim is to develop course attendees’ teaching skills and confidence for best practice. To gain your teaching certification, you will need to submit a case-study (minimum of 3 sessions) and a recorded video (10 minutes) of your teaching as specified by the course tutor. Both are to be submitted within six months.
On successful completion of the Combined Baby Massage and Baby Yoga course, you will be qualified as Birthlight Certified Teacher in Baby Massage and Baby Yoga (1).
WHAT STUDENTS SAY ABOUT THIS COURSE
“The training was fantastic, I came away with so much knowledge and couldn’t wait to get planning!”
— Jodie, BINBY course with Emma 2023
“This course exceeded my expectations 🙂 It was a rich, inspired, creative learning journey delivered by a knowledgable, compassionate and relatable teacher (Emma). The course content and materials are sensible and progressive enhanced by the opportunity to revisit/review/refresh learning via the online material and recordings of the course. Fantastic opportunity to share these teachings with worldwide participants and I feel inspired and confident (ish!) to bring this learning to life to enable parents, carers and babies connect through the practice of baby massage and yoga.”
— Sharon, BINBY course with Emma 2023
“Great course. I learnt so much and leave feeling confident and excited to teach baby yoga and massage. I made some lovely supportive friends thanks to the set up of the course and had a wonderful tutor that was very knowledgeable and approachable. I look forward to doing further courses with birthlight in the future! :)”
— Maxine, BINBY course with Emma 2023
“I attended the Birthlight Baby massage & baby yoga course online with Emma and I can honestly say it’s one of the best courses I have been on. Well structured, super informative, passionately presented with thoughtful additions such as break out groups so we could ‘rest & digest’ as well as put into practice what we had learnt. A pleasure. I can’t wait to put what I have learnt into practice.”
— Participant, BINBY course with Emma 2023
“I also wanted to thank you for all of your time, energy, teaching and support, before, during and after the course. It really is invaluable and very much appreciated to have you and the group there for support – and to spur me on with finalising my coursework and getting it submitted. I also know how much work you and Birthlight must have done over the last year in order to make the course possible and accessible online and just to say I think you’ve done a brilliant job. It’s really useful to have resources to refer back to and to watch back the recordings of the training sessions we had with you, so there are definite benefits to having the course in an online format.”
— Charlotte Musgrove, (Marion O’Connor’s “Integrated Nurturing Baby Massage and Baby Yoga” (BINBY), January 2021)
I truly had a BINBY experience within this training [via Zoom]! Although I missed the opportunity to meet with my tutor and fellow teachers in person, I got the opportunity to meet a wonderful group of people from across Europe. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience learning with Marion! She is a wonderful asset to the Birthlight community and I am thankful that our paths crossed! B- Brilliant I- Interesting N- Nurturing B- Blissful Y- Yogic
— Anonymous ((Marion O’Connor’s “Integrated Nurturing Baby Massage and Baby Yoga”, August 2020)
I would just like to say how important the classes we do for our coursework are. It’s then that it all starts to make sense. I learnt so much from you and then it all came together when I taught the classes to real mummies & babies. It puts you on the right Rd to making beautiful classes. Also the feedback you get is really useful and helpful. It helps build confidence. Having all the plans typed out gives you a good start for building your own classes. You already have the classes planned out. You’ll learn how to overcome real problems which you will come across in your classes. It was the right amount of coursework for us to make our classes successful. I loved the course & all the hard-work to becoming qualified. The work and effort that you put in makes a greater teacher.
— Claire, (Marion O’Connor’s “Integrated Nurturing Baby Massage and Baby Yoga” , BINBY, 2021)
breakout rooms worked really well giving you a chance to connect with other students
— Anonymous (Marion O’Connor’s “Integrated Nurturing Baby Massage and Baby Yoga”, February 2021)